Rosewood Middle School
I. Teacher: David Appel
Grade Level: 6th Grade
Subject: Social Studies
School Phone Number: 919-736-5050
Conference times (by appointment only):
Monday-Thursday 9:15-9:45; Wednesday 3:00-3:30
II. Course Description:
Social Studies focuses heavily on geography by using the five themes of
location, place, movement, human-environment interaction, and region to
understand the emergence, expansion, and decline of civilizations and
societies through the 1400’s.
III. Course Objectives:
3. Economics and Financial Literacy
4. Civics and Government
Areas of Study
Emergence of Civilizations (Prehistory – 1000 BC)
Development of Civilizations (1000 BC – 500AD)
Expansion of Civilizations (300-1000AD)
Regional Civilizations (1000-1450 AD)
IV. Classroom Expectations:
1. Be Respectful
2. Be in your assigned seat, ready to work when class begins.
3. Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
4. Raise your hand before you walk or talk.
5. Follow directions of school personnel.
6. No profanity, rude gestures, teasing, or put downs.
V. Grading Scale:
A = 90 - 100 D = 60 - 69
B = 80 – 89 F = Below 60
C = 70 - 79
VI. Grading Percentages:
Class participation – 15%
Class work/homework – 25%
Quizzes/interactive notebook – 25%
Projects/tests – 35%
Students will lose 10 points each day for late assignments.